Beauty in the Ashes

Today we go downtown to visit the Cathedral, a stained glass church and a museum. Juan tells us how a lot of Salvadoran young people don't take pride in their country. "Not many have dreams here," he says. But today we get to see history and beauty. They are not necessarily the same thing. Horrible things have happened here. July 30th in 1975 is one of them. But there is also beauty here. In the people, like Juan and others. And there is beauty in the land. Here in downtown San Salvador there is beauty visible in their buildings as well.

We visit the Catedral Metropolitana


It is magnificent inside, especially in contrast to the apartment and neighborhood where we have been. But there seems to be an emptiness here as well. People pray and light candles, but I do not sense the Holy Spirit here like I did in the little cement block Church of Faith and Worship.


Juan shares the story about the plaza. How the Army opened fire on the people and they rushed to get into the Cathedral and the Army followed them inside and killed them all. Juan says he has told the story many times, but this time, he tears up. He tells us how he has the ability to leave El Salvador, but he still has hope. "I want to stay in my country and change it. I wanted years ago, but I thought it was just the fervor of being a teenager. Now I know it was a call from God."

Afterwards, we gather around him and pray. I feel like I have been given a gift, a look into the heart of San Salvador, both the pain and the hope in Juan and other's hearts. 


But our tour isn't over. We head out to go to the next place . . .


The Iglesia El Rosario


Pictures do not do the church justice. The stained glass is beautiful. I am in such awe when I enter, I can't speak. In the back corner of the church are the stations of the cross. I don't take pictures because of the lighting, but I walk through them and my heart thrills when I reach the last one, a sculpture of Jesus rising from the dead.

We stop last at a government building that is now a museum. It is beautiful inside and out and cool and refreshing. I am wiped out and spend time on a bench. It is a blessing to sit and enjoy the view.


We go back to the apartment and the rest of the team heads off to plan for the children's camp, God of the City, while I an Colin stay back so I can rest.

The team returns, we chill (chill is a relative term here) for a little longer and then head back to the church for prayer meeting.




We have seen and experienced much today. For me it has broadened my understanding of El Salvador and the Salvadorans. I had already fallen in love with the country, but now I feel my heart stirring for the people in deeper ways. We begin the youth retreat and the children's camp tomorrow. I pray God uses what we have experienced today to not only change us, but help us to bless and serve better tomorrow.

Thank you for your prayers. Please continue to pray, especially for health and strength!

Praise God. He is good and we are blessed by being able to be here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Day of Kid's Camp! - 8-1-18

Surrounding with a Prayer Wall - Last Day of Camp - 8-3-18