Operation White Rose - Visiting Jesus at the YDC


"I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." - Matthew 25:36

When we arrive at the Youth Development Center, I wonder what this will be like. Everyone is brimming with energy and there is bacon. 

Lots of bacon. 


On Monday I called and talked to Marie. During our conversation, she said, "These kids don't have many positive connections."

On Saturday our first job is to sign in and desposit our keys on the counter.


Next we take a quick tour of the facility to see where the kitchen/diningroom, the gym and the game room are. Our team divides into three groups, one group for the kitchen and the bacon,

one group for the gym,


and one group for the game room. I think about heading back to the kitchen, and the bacon. 

But I am here quell the bacon monster and head to the game room instead.  

There are pool tables, air hockey and ping pong. At first things are a little awkward. The young men play and talk among themselves and it seems almost impossible to engage them.

But that changes. After watching us a bit, one young man called John (real name omitted for privacy) comes over and starts talking with Loni. 


I am not listening too intently to the conversation until John says, "I got shot when I was eleven, so I started carrying a gun."

John looks and sounds to be about sixteen or seventeen, but his eyes are a lot older.

John continues, "Getting shot doesn't hurt, like most people think. It burns. I got shot three different times in my leg and foot. Two times I went to the hospital, but one time I didn't because I was on the run."

I think to myself, you are too young to be using words like "on the run".



John stares off for a little, watching the other guys playing.

Loni asks if he has family. 

"Yeah, my family is all I got. I don't trust nobody else but my family." 

Later he mentions that his father gambles and says something about a sister, murder and prison. I can't catch the complete story.

He says that he knows about God. When he was younger he went to church a lot.

What happened? Where are the positive connections, the positive relationships for him? What will encourage him to pick a better path once he is released? 

Later when I talked to Marie on the phone she said, "These kids are stuck here. Most can't go out, but you can come in."  


Another young man joins Loni, John and us at the table where we sit. We'll call him Blake.

Blake asks if we want to play Rummy and Loni and I look at each other. "Uh, we don't know how," we say. "But we'd love to learn."

Blake mumbles something about not being a good teacher and John says the same.

I say, "Eh, don't worry about it. We'll just start playing and you can help us as we go." I smile. That seems to work.  



We begin the game and I am very bad at it. John and Blake try to help us out. They grin. 

John has a good smile.
_____________________________________

When I talk to Marie on Monday, I ask, "We were there on Saturday, but what can we do now?"

Marie says, "Oh it would be wonderful for you to come again. Anyone can come really. You can come with your own ideas, but if you're not sure what to do, I have lots of ideas. You can play games in the evenings, or on Saturday mornings, you can make breakfast. We have the supplies or you can bring your own. Just ask."

I think, "Bacon!"



Marie says, "These kids need positive connections. Just call me and we'll set something up."

Thirty days is the average stay at the Youth Development Center. Clients are referred to the center by Juvenile Probation or the Office of Children, Youth, and Families.

I can't get John and Blake out of my head. What will life be for these young men when they leave?

What will make the difference going forward? 

The answer: Connections. Relationships. First maybe with you and I. And then maybe one day with Christ. 

And anyone can offer that.

Call Marie Randel at 7171-668-9865. She is eager to talk with you. 

A Few Things To Know:
  • Children four and under, or very energetic elementary students may not be a good fit.
  • Plan on leaving any valuables, cellphones and car keys in your car or at the front desk.
  • The staff are friendly, helpful and glad you are there.
  • Don't worry about how you will interact or what to say. Nothing fancy is needed. Just go hang out, draw the young men and women into your family. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pictures From the Youth Retreat - 8/1-8/2

Surrounding with a Prayer Wall - Last Day of Camp - 8-3-18