The Graffiti Artist Among Us - 1-29-18

From the first missions trip planning meeting, I knew Steve Slyder would be trouble.

When I get back to Templo Emmanuel after the interview (see Is Hope Possible) with Mrs. Domingo, I admire the hard work I see going on around me. 

Glenn and Nate are doing some of the more intricate detailing work with their paint brushes. Steve and Deb are running primer-caked rollers up and down the brick walls and Millie and Kandi are painting a banister railing. Everyone is cheerful and in good spirits. Then Steve calls me over. “I gotta show you something,” he says. He motions for me to walk around the front of the church building. I'm not sure what I'll find. The grin on Steve's face is not reassuring.

I round the corner and see words in fresh white paint cluttering up the side of the church building. This is a church, Steve? What have you done.


I can think of a lot worse things to paint on the side of the church building. I can't help laughing instead. Word spreads quickly, and the team teases Steve.

Hours later, Steve finds redemption in Isaiah, who once was a drug addicted, demon possessed man. Isaiah was driving by and saw the words painted on the front of the church, so he pulled over to ask what he could help with. He strikes up a conversation with the team and shares a story of God's grace and power in his life. He speaks Scripture more frequently than not. After talking for forty-five minutes or so, he has to leave, but later he stops back with his wife and the team gets to meet her as well. For everyone it is a thrilling connection. As the team says good-bye, they urge Isaiah to drop around as he gets the chance.

You know,” Steve says, “We wouldn't have met Isaiah if I hadn't painted graffiti on the church wall.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surrounding with a Prayer Wall - Last Day of Camp - 8-3-18

Pictures From the Youth Retreat - 8/1-8/2